Sunday, December 6, 2009

Church #49: Thinplace and Maproom

I’m concerned. A little over nine years into my faith journey, I’m afraid I can no longer connect with God in a supernatural way.

Sunday evening, I decided to attend an event at Taza Coffee Shop in Clifton called (Thinplace and) Maproom. I went because I knew the event would be experiential. No message or choir. No tithing or announcements. Simply an environment to experience God. Something I desperately needed.

I walked in and found low lighting and peaceful music playing in the background. Throughout the building, there were a dozen stations set up, all involving a unique meditative experience. A handful of people were wandering around the first floor and a couple more were upstairs. I made my way from station to station (these were all individual activities). Some were pretty cool. Some weren’t my cup of tea. I participated in about half of the exercises.







To finish reading about this experience or any of the reflections from my 52 visits, please purchase the full book here.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION